Telephone interviewers collect information for academic research. The position involves contacting and asking questions of respondents over the telephone. Survey questions are standardized and must be read exactly as written. All of the information gathered for the surveys is kept confidential, and interviewers are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of the information they gather. Training is provided and must be completed before interviewing begins. This training is paid after completion of five hours of interviewing time.
New interviewers receive 6 - 12 hours of classroom and hands-on computer-assisted telephone interviewing (CATI) training.Three hours are on general interviewing techniques, followed by three to six hours on the use of the WinCATI® system. The hours focus on WinCATI® technology while reinforcing the general interviewing techniques.
Interviewers also receive additional, project-specific training. This involves extensive review of the materials, project-specific procedures, and item-by-item specifications for the questionnaire.
After training, interviewers must prove their competency by administering a standardized interview without errors. The interview is administered to a supervisor interviewer playing the role of a respondent. Supervisor interviewers must demonstrate their ability to handle a variety of responses that typically occur during the course of telephone interviewing and tests interviewer knowledge of procedures specific to a given project. The supervisor interviewer then meets with the interviewer to review the interviewer's performance.
Interviewers' phone performance, productivity, and response rates are routinely monitored; corrective or remedial training is provided if necessary. Interview quality is continuously assessed in a variety of ways: Performance is monitored using silent monitors installed on all telephones; interviewers receive written feedback on errors, as well as corrective instruction.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Advancement Possibilities
- Early Registration for classes for KSU students
Lab Hours of Operation
- Weekdays 5:30 PM - 9:30 PM
- Saturday 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
- Sunday 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Please Apply If You Meet The Following Requirements
- Clear speaking voice
- Great people skills
- Reliable and dependable
- Some experience with computers
- Ability to type at least 30 words per minute
- Willingness to follow set procedures
- Available to work at least three sessions a week
- Will work for at least six months
- Have some flexibility in your weekly schedule
How to Apply
- Click here to begin applying for available interviewer openings
- Choose Search KSU Jobs and enter the Key Word interviewer
- This will provide a listing of available interview positions